Nye County Court Reports

07/31/2018 - Court Report

By Eunette Gentry

Former area teacher, Ann Marie Landberg, is finally formally arrested on July 20, 2018 – more than six months after being charged on January 4, 2018, with Unlawful Contact With Child, a Gross Misdemeanor”.  According to Landberg’s “Declaration of Arrest”, on July 20th:  “Landberg was instructed by Judge Wanker to report to the Nye County Detention Center – Pahrump, to be Booked and Released on the…charge” of “Contact with Minor/Mentally Ill person, (1st) Gross Misdemeanor”.  This took place during Landberg’s July 20th “Sentencing Hearing” in District Court.  Also during that proceeding:  the “court reviewe[d] the case history and…the Sentencing Recommendations of the Division of Parole and Probation set forth in the PSI Report.  [The] court adjudicate[d] the defendant [as] Guilty [– after Landberg previously made a Guilty Plea].  Defense addresse[d] the court and follows the recommendations. …The defendant [did] not want to address the court [during Sentencing.  Then Landberg was sentenced] to [a total of] $1,028 [in] fines; 364 days NDC Suspended; [and,] 3 years Probation – with all the special terms and conditions.”  After sentencing, that’s when Landberg was “booked in the system”.  Landberg entered a previously arranged “Guilty Plea” agreement during her first appearance in District Court – which was for her “Arraignment Hearing” – back on June 15, 2018.  During that proceeding:  Landberg was “present [while] in custody.  [The] court canvass[ed] the defendant, outline[d] the Guilty Plea Agreement…and the maximum possible sentence.…[Landberg pleaded]  Guilty and waive[d] her Constitutional Rights to Trial….[Then, Landberg] address[ed] the court and apologized for her actions” – during her Arraignment.  Nye County School District’s Superintendent confirmed with NEWS46 that Landberg: “worked as a substitute from February 8, 2017 to October 6, 2017.”  The acts Landberg committed occurred between “September 1, 2017” and “October 6, 2017”

 


Court Report - 7/26/2018

By Eunette Gentry

Local woman, Antoinette Nash, was arrested on June 22, 2018 and charged with “Attempted Murder” and “Battery” after a violent domestic dispute with her female roommate.  However, Nash will not be making an appearance in Justice Court this week – as previously scheduled; because, the defendant had her “Preliminary Hearing” in that lower court, “Vacated” – after it was scheduled for Thursday, July 26th.  Police say Nash was taken into custody after stabbing one of her two roommates at their home.  Both roommates, and Nash, told police that:  “all three individuals were arguing”, and “Nash had been drinking all day”.  Then, the victim says:  “Nash slapped her in the face, [and] pushed her in the face.”  The female victim then told police:  “she pushed Nash, and Nash fell to the ground…got up, ran in the kitchen…grabbed two knives…[then] stated “I’m gunna kill that b- - - -.”  That’s when the victim says “Nash…pushed her up against the wall near [their] front door and ‘slit her throat’”.  The victim “ran into her bedroom” after being “grabbed…by the arm” and helped by their other roommate – who “locked them inside” the room.  That third roommate then “called 911”.  The victim was transported to “Desert View Hospital” – where “she received 10 stitches for her neck injury.”  Police say “Nash appeared extremely intoxicated” and “complained of chest pains”; so, she was also transported to “Desert View Hospital” – but not before being arrested!  Upon arrival at the hospital, “Nash became combative with hospital staff and [a ‘Deputy’ on scene].”  During investigation, “Nash stated that she was involved in a ‘tussle’ with [the victim]” but “she did not know how [the victim’s] neck got cut.”  Police found a “knife…in the street approximately 150 yards from the residence”; and, “bandages that appeared to have blood on them in the street approximately 130 yards from the residence.”  “Nash was released from Desert View hospital and transported to NCDC”.  During Nash’s “First Appearance” in court for this matter, on June 25th, her “bail [was] set at $60,000 cash or bond”; and, she was appointed Attorney David Rickert as her “Public Defender”.  Then, during Nash’s “Formal Arraignment”, on July 2nd:  the defendant stated “she understood the nature of the…charges against her and procedures.  [Then, Nash’s replacement ‘Defense Attorney’, Daniel] Martinez, argued…for an O.R. Release, or in the alternative, a reduction in bail.  The court denied the defense's motions and advised the bail amount [remains] at $60,000 and due to the nature of the charges that is a fair bail amount.  Attorney Martinez requested a Preliminary Hearing and a Pre-Trial date.  The State concurred.  The court set [Nash’s] Pre-Trial Hearing for July 12th…and Preliminary Hearing for July 26th”.  However, both of those court dates were “Waived” and “Vacated” – respectively.  Nash “was remanded into the custody of…NCDC” after her last court proceeding.

 

 

 


07/13/2018 - Court Report

By Eunette Gentry

Jayme McCoy, the Pahrump man arrested on June 6, 2018 and charged with “Indecent or Obscene Exposure” after witnesses say he caused “a disturbance” inside an area McDonalds – due to reportedly “exposing” his genitals while walking around in that restaurant – is due in District Court on Monday July 16th, for his “Arraignment”.  McCoy was Bound-Over to that higher court after being ordered to undergo a Mental “Competency Evaluation”.  On the date of his arrest, police say:  “shortly after receiving his food, [McCoy] was walking around inside [McDonald’s] with his pants hanging down exposing [himself] to staff and other patrons.  [Then, when] staff members told McCoy to pull his pants up, he began yelling at them, calling them names, and then walked out.”  During McCoy’s “First Appearance” in Justice Court, on June 7th:  “the court advised [the] defendant that probable cause was found and [McCoy’s] bail [was] set at $2,000 cash or bond.  [The] defendant was screened as to his financial status.  [Subsequently,] the court appointed attorney [Jason] Earnest to represent [McCoy as his Public Defender].  [Then,] the court set Formal Arraignment for June 13th.”  However on that court date:  “Attorney Earnest briefed the record that the defendant will be conditionally waiving his Preliminary Hearing for the purposes of a Competency Evaluation.  [The Prosecuting Attorney] had no opposition.  [So, a] conditional waiver of Preliminary Hearing [was] signed and filed by Attorney Earnest on the defendant's behalf.  [During the conclusion of that court proceeding,] the court ordered [McCoy] bound over to appear for Arraignment in…District Court on July 16th.”


07/17/2018 - Court Report

By Eunette Gentry

George Allen Prentiss recently appeared in court and had his case bound over to District Court – where he will reportedly plead “Guilty”.  Prentiss is the local man who was arrested on May 19, 2018, after “admitting to police that he was inappropriately “touching [a female minor] for the purpose of sexual conduct”.  Prentiss had his case bound over to the higher District Court, to face the formal charge of “Lewdness with a child under 14 years of age”.  On July 11th, during the court proceeding that was scheduled to be Prentiss’ “Preliminary Hearing”:  it was determined that “the defendant will unconditionally waive Preliminary Hearing and in District Court [will] enter a Guilty Plea to one count of Attempted Lewdness With A Child under the age of 14 years old, and The State is free to argue.  [The Prosecuting] Attorney concurred.  The defendant was screened as to his understanding and acceptance of the negotiations and the rights he would be waiving...The court found that the defendant has knowingly and voluntarily waived his right to Preliminary Hearing and ordered that he be bound over to appear in…District Court…for Arraignment on August 17th.”  Prentiss was taken into custody after NCSO officers were “dispatched to [an area home] in reference to a sex offense.”  A deputy responded to “reports of a female [who] had been touched in the privates by a neighbor named Pops” – who was “later identified as George Prentiss.”  Police say the young girl left home looking for her “friends”; but, they “were not at [home]”.  So, the child “went over to Pops’ trailer” – “to earn some chore money, by doing the dishes.”  According to police, while the young girl was there, Prentiss told her, “I will show you mine, if you show me yours.”  Then the victim says Prentiss “placed his hand on her [vagina] and patted it with his hand”.  “She then ran across the street and told her father what…happened.”  Officers say after questioning him, Prentiss confirmed the victim’s account, admitted what he had done, and even told police “that he wanted sexual contact, but it shouldn’t have been with a child.”  Prentiss remains “In Custody: [with] BAIL [set at] $5000 C/B”.

 

 

 


07/03/2018 - Court Report

By Eunette Gentry

 

Shawn McNally – the local man arrested on May 8, 2018 and charged with “Exploitation of an Older Person” and another drug related charge – was recently in court for his “Formal Arraignment”.  McNally is suspected of taking financial advantage of an elderly male – who says McNally, over time, “would harass, intimidate, threaten, bully and manipulate [the victim] into giving him more than $100,000”.  McNally “had [even] been driving” the elderly victim’s “red Ford Fusion”.  That man told police that when he “attempted to turn [McNally] down [after requesting money, McNally] ‘blew up’ and threatened [that] he would (sue) [and] take [the victim’s] car, his house and everything he owned”.  The victim also says McNally “instructed him to open [a] joint [bank] account, to ‘show’ they had a ‘relationship’ with each other”.  The victim says “he had only deposited [money] into the account [– more than 11-thousand dollars –]…and he never took any money out.”  However, the “current balance” on that account is now only about two-hundred dollars.  Police suspect McNally is behind these financial schemes.  Officers say when they questioned him, McNally admitted that he has a “$100 a-day heroin addiction”…and that he mixes it with meth and marijuana…to ‘function’”.  During McNally’s initial court date for this case, the Prosecutor “made an oral motion for a No Contact Order with the alleged victim, to include no third party contact.  [The] court granted The State’s motion and ordered from this point forward the defendant is to have no contact, including no third party contact, with the victim.  [McNally] acknowledged [the order.  Then,] the court set a Pre-Trial Hearing for July 25th.”  McNally currently has an “Active Cash Bail or Bond: $15,000”.

 

 

 


6/26/2018 - Court Report

By Eunette Gentry

 

Heather Longberry and Terry Allen were arrested (on 6/15/18) after an extensive investigation into the death of Longberry’s 17 year-old daughter.  Longberry and Allen are a couple; and, both admitted to previous drug use, during the police investigation into the unidentified minor female’s death on April 2, 2018.  While at home, it was discovered that the young girl was “not breathing” anymore; so, she was transported to Desert View Hospital – where she “was pronounced deceased”.  Police say when questioned by detectives, both the child’s mother – Heather Longberry – and Longberry’s boyfriend – Terry Allen – blamed each other for the child’s death.  Investigators say, “Allen and Longberry were both accusing each other of giving the 17 year-old minor female methamphetamine, prior to her becoming unresponsive.”  However, Allen told police that he recorded Longberry “on a cell phone”, “admitting to giving the [girl] narcotics”.  Police also say “Allen sent” “a text message” to someone referring to the girl’s death.  Among the many different, often conflicting, accusations being waged back and forth between the suspects, police say:  “Longberry stated that Allen asked her to ask [her underage daughter] to have a ‘three some’”.  “A records check…on Allen…revealed that he [is] a sex offender on life time supervision”.  Additionally, Allen told police that Longberry and her 17 year-old daughter “got high earlier in the day prior to the [girl’s] death.”  Police say “Longberry stated that she was present when Allen provided the…minor…with drugs’”.  Autopsy results reveal that the girl’s body had “a large amount of meth” in her “gastric fluid”; and, that the girl’s “cause of death was methamphetamine intoxication”.  Police say “Longberry tested presumptive positive for methamphetamine, benzos, and cocaine”; and, “Allen tested presumptive positive for methamphetamine, benzos, and THC.”  Police say during their investigation, they found the residence – where the couple, the deceased victim, and her three young siblings lived – in squalor:  “with a pungent odor of urine and feces…several mice inside the residence…mice feces…a puddle of urine on the kitchen counter…[and] garbage all over the residence”.  Longberry also “stated that she did not have hot water”.  Due to her daughter’s death, drug allegations, and the condition of the home, Longberry is charged with:  “Conspiracy to Violate the Uniform Controlled Substance Act, 1st Offense; Offer, Attempt, or Commission of Unauthorized Act(s) Relating to Controlled Substance, First Offense; [four counts of] Unlawfully allowing [a] Child to be Present during Commission of certain situations which involve Controlled Substances; [two counts of] Unlawful use of a Controlled Substance; [and, four counts of] Abuse, Neglect, or Endangerment of a Child”.  That’s a total of 14 separate charges for Longberry.  Likewise, Allen is facing the following 10 separate charges:  “Conspiracy to Violate the Uniform Controlled Substance Act, 1st Offense; Offer, Attempt, or Commission of Unauthorized Act(s) Relating to Controlled Substance, First Offense; [four counts of] Unlawfully allowing [a] Child to be Present during Commission of certain situations which involve Controlled Substances; [three counts of] Unlawful use of a Controlled Substance; [and,] Prohibited Acts of [a] Convicted Sex Offender”.  Both defendants remain “in custody”, with “no bail” – until their Pre-Trial Hearing, which is scheduled on July 5, 2018.

 


Pahrump 411 Court Report (6/19/2018)

By Eunette Gentry


 

 

 

Brian Patrick Hern makes an appearance in District Court on Friday, June15th, for Sentencing; and, to answer to the new charges he’s facing connected to his previous formal charges of “Lewdness with a child under 14”, and a laundry-list of other related charges connected to reportedly assaulting two female minors.  The new Criminal Complaint against Brian Hern was filed on May 11, 2018.  Notably, that now makes three active cases in District Court for Brian – this new one in which he’s charged with “Prevent[ing]/Dissuad[ing a] Victim”; a second case in which Hern is facing:  11 counts of “Lewdness with a child under 14”; five counts of “Sexual Assault [with a] child under 14”; two counts of “First-degree Kidnapping of [a] Minor”; and one count of “First-degree Kidnapping”.  Hern pleaded NOLO Contendere (No Contest) to those charges on April 23, 2018.  Also notably, Hern was Sentenced early last year, on June 23, 2017 – for a separate case charge – to “19/48 months in prison with 254 days credit for time served”, after being charged with “Attempt to Obtain Money under False Pretense”.  During his “Arraignment Hearing” held on June15th, connected to the charge of “Prevent[ing]/Dissuad[ing a] Victim”:  Hern was “present in custody”.  A Guilty Plea Agreement was submitted to the court and the court accepts said plea.  Then, the court set Sentencing for July 20th.  Additionally, regarding Hern’s previous 19 separate charges connected to Child Abuse:  the court outlined the terms stated in Hern’s NOLO Plea Agreement.  Notably, the defendant now has the previously mentioned new charge; so, The State got the right to argue.  Then the victims / witnesses – who are minor children, addressed the court – to “testify as to how this has affected [their] life”.  Finally, the court sentenced Hern on Count One to 48-120 months; and, on Count Two the defendant was sentenced to 19-48 months.  Those sentences are to run consecutively.  Hern also received 265 days credit for time served.  Hern’s wife, and now Co-Defendant – Crystal Hern’s – case is also now Bound-Over to District Court, after she agreed to a Guilty Plea.  Police say Crystal Hern “admitted that she told both minor females to lie” about the sexual allegation not being true, as a way to “comfort them.”  The court ordered Crystal to appear in District Court on June 29th.

 

 

 

 


Archives:

2018-08 | 2018-07 | 2018-06


Ad Zone
Ad Zone